[Chicken-users] Finalizers

From: John Cowan
Subject: [Chicken-users] Finalizers
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 08:54:03 -0400

Either I seriously don't understand finalizers or else they don't
work in simple cases.  Here's a log:

Version 2, Build 320 - windows-cygwin-x86 - [ dload ptables applyhook ]
(c)2000-2006 Felix L. Winkelmann
#;1> (define x '(1 2 3))
#;2> (define (yammer x) (print x " is dead"))
#;3> (set-finalizer! x yammer)
(1 2 3)
#;4> (gc #t)
157812
#;5> (define x #f)
#;6> (gc #t)
157812
#;7>

Why is nothing reclaimed, and why isn't "(1 2 3) is dead" printed?

--
John Cowan   address@hidden   http://ccil.org/~cowan
I must confess that I have very little notion of what [s. 4 of the British