[Chicken-users] Re: [LispSea] food

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: [Chicken-users] Re: [LispSea] food
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 12:11:41 -0700

Daniel J Pezely wrote:
Brandon: No potlucks!

First, why do you object to them? Second, do you feel the same way about trays of food that don't require cooking? Third, who's paying for those pizzas?

On further thought, since we'll be meeting on Capitol Hill initially, people will have easy access to a wide variety of food before/after the meetings.

Aren't you forgetting that programmers are faint from hunger after work, and that they aren't made of time? That's the benefit of venues that have food for sale during the meeting. We shifted from The Stumbling Monk to the Red Line for this reason. We did an interim step of bringing our own brie and crackers, and one guy brought a bucket of KFC one time. I don't personally feel that food being free is the big issue for guys making a minimum of $70K/year. The issue is the food being available right then and there. Of course there are the starving students and the unemployed.

Other groups such as Sputnik-- game developers on the East Side-- need to provide food since there are far fewer meal options.

There are plenty of food options in the East Side, especially in the corporate cafeterias of Microsoft and Google. Nobody wants to take the time to go eat and then go to a meeting.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every