Re: [Chicken-users] Anyone have opengl examples?

From: Matthew Welland
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Anyone have opengl examples?
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 19:54:46 -0700

On Tuesday 13 June 2006 16:50, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> Matthew Welland wrote:
> > I'm trying to learn opengl and use chicken. This is proving to be a
> > non-trivial exercise :-)
> >
> > Does anyone have any working opengl code examples they can share? I am
> > specifically having trouble with tesselation of polygons but any and all
> > examples would be interesting.
>
> I do not.  However, 1 month from now, it is my ambition to begin work on
> a "proper" OpenGL binding for Chicken Scheme, as well as examples of
> procedural content via hand-coded Scheme.  This is my opening salvo for
> taking over the game industry.  Additionally, the demos will be used for
> promoting LispSea, the currently forming Seattle Lisp chapter.
> http://wiki.alu.org/LispSea for those interested.  The principal
> organizer is a Common Lisp pundit, but he currently recognizes that Lisp
> is weak in Seattle and he needs to cast the net wider to include
> Scheme.  My aim is to have Chicken Scheme be the best possible Scheme or
> Lisp solution for any Windows OpenGL game developer.

This sounds very very cool. I look forward to seeing it. Will your OpenGL
binding be built on the existing one or will it start from scratch?

Attached is alpha.scm - a direct port to chicken of one of the examples that
comes with the Ruby OpenGl port. I plan on working my way through the
examples porting as many as I can in my effort to learn OpenGl. I'll keep
them around in case they are of interest to others.

One suggestion for chicken eggs - I'd like to see examples installed along
with the reference data where appropriate. Also, on completion of running
chicken setup how about spitting out on-screen the URL or path to the
installed docs. I had no idea that docs were being installed until I dug into
the chicken install workings.

Lastly: The opengl egg doesn't install a help page.

Thank you to Felix and all who make Chicken possible!!

Matt