Re: [Chicken-users] string-substitute* slow?

From: Daishi Kato
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] string-substitute* slow?
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 18:41:31 +0900

At Wed, 19 Apr 2006 17:26:35 +0900,
Daishi Kato wrote:
> > It turns out that simpler code is often faster code... :-)
> > I haven't analyzed string-substitute* completely, but it repeatedly
> > looped over the the smap again and again, which is unneccessary
> > when string-substitute* is expressed solely with string-substitute.
> > I have replaced the old version with yours. Moreover it handles
> > backreferences and an optional mode argument (like
> > string-substitute).
>
> Oh, no. Could there be a better way with string-substitute*?
> I don't believe that my workaround is the fastest.
> I'll look into the code of string-substitute* later.

Hm, I wonder why string-substitute and string-substitute*
look so different; one uses an internal concatenate the other
uses ##sys#fragments->string.
The other note I found: even if I put only one pair in smap,
the time string-substitute* took is double the time
string-substitute took.
The count string-search-positions that I counted
was also twice with string-substitute*.

Does this help anyting?
Daishi