Re: [Chicken-users] alpha or ia64 testers around?

From: Peter Busser
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] alpha or ia64 testers around?
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 08:42:58 +0200

Hi!

> I could get an alpha machine to test Chicken (thanks to UFPel
> people -- Federal University of Pelotas -- http://www.ufpel.edu.br)
>
> I could build Chicken 2.3 and darcs head.  I've also installed a
> couple of eggs (listed below).  Apparently, it's working ok.

Just to get a few facts straight:

It looks like you compiled Chicken 2.3, whereas Chicken 2.2 seems to be
present in Debian unstable. So which version is the Debian maintainer
trying to compile?

> Perhaps the Debian mantainer (Davide Puricelli?) can provided more
> details about the problem he's facing.  The machine I'm using has
> Debian GNU/Linux as OS.  I had to manually update the autothings
> (autoconf, automake) and libtool packages, since Debian 3.0 doesn't
> have the required versions.

And Debian 3.0 is also called Woody. I think Woody uses GCC 2.95.3. The
Chicken maintainer is compiling against Debian Sid (= unstable), which is now
using GCC 4.x AFAIK.

BTW, if you use pbuilder to build your packages, you can compile directly
against unstable, without having to install unstable packages on your machine.

Groetjes,
Peter.