Re: [Chicken-users] objc/cocoa and deploying

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] objc/cocoa and deploying
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 08:53:26 +0100

On 3/15/06, Ben Matasar <address@hidden> wrote:
> Guys,

Hi, Ben!

> I'm thrilled by the objc egg overall, it's a great piece of software.
> I  dohave some questions about how I would deploy my app to people who
> don't have the chicken libraries.  I tried csc -static and was
> rewarded with an application that didn't even launch on my system,
> much less a system without libchicken.

-static on OS X is equivalent to -static-libs, which should generate
a binary that is independent of libchicken. In general, deploying an
app shouldn't be a problem provided you do the following:

- compile with -static or -static-libs to use libchicken.a instead of the dylib
- make sure you also link with a static version of libffi
- compile objc.scm and cocoa.scm as a "unit" and "use" that unit in
  your code

To figure out what exactly goes wrong, calling your deployed app
like this helps a lot:

% DYLD_PRINT_LIBRARIES=1 ./myapp

Also invoking "otool -L myapp" lists libraries that are needed at runtime.

It's a bit involved, but if you give me a few days, I'm sure I can come up
with a solution.