Re: [Chicken-users] EOF syntax as Emacs comment?

From: Graham Fawcett
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] EOF syntax as Emacs comment?
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 16:30:24 -0500

On 2/9/06, Reed Sheridan <address@hidden> wrote:
> This doesn't seem to "just work," as I had hoped, so I tried two-mode-mode
> as Dominique suggested.  Unfortunately, it switches modes for the whole
> buffer as you move the point in and out of the embedded text, which doesn't
> help paredit (though I'll still use it if I can't find anything more
> suitable).  Before I spend much time messing with mmm-mode, does it switch
> the mode for the whole buffer like two-mode-mode, or does it put different
> parts of the buffer in different modes?

Different parts in different modes. You can have an indefinite number
of sub-modes.

Sorry, I didn't post a working example, but rather another case of
mmm-mode at work. Let me see if I can give you something more
specific... try this in your .emacs:

(mmm-add-mode-ext-class nil "\\.scm" 'scheme-eof)
(mmm-add-classes
 '((scheme-eof
    :submode text-mode
    :front "#..EOF"
    :back "^EOF$")))
(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.scm" . mmm-mode))

This declares "scheme-eof" as an extension class, provides the regexes
to match the beginning and end of the EOF section, and specifies the
mode to use within that section (I chose text-mode). Finally, it adds
mmm-mode to the auto-mode-list for .SCM files.

Note too that I cheated on the first regex. ;-) Works here, hope it
works for you too.

Graham