Re: [Chicken-users] Memory Leaks with foreign libraries

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Memory Leaks with foreign libraries
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 08:20:53 +0100

On 2/3/06, Matthew David Parker <address@hidden> wrote:

> Well, I looked at my game some more, and at the memory that csi is using,
> and it looks like if I move my ship all around the map it will allocate
> everything there is to allocate, and then it doesn't use up any more
> memory.  Still, though, it never seems to free up any memory, so any new
> things just build up.

Hm...

> If I just go into csi and I (define jim "some really long string....")
> then it jumps up 100 bytes of memory usage.  Then if I (set! jim "") it
> doesn't go back down.  Shouldn't it go back to almost where it was?

Perhaps after you do a '(gc)' ? Since chicken does it's own memory
management, and gc is only done after a certain amount of
garbage has accumulated, that release of storage may be delayed.

Also, the heap may be resized during execution and grow larger
and smaller on demand - again, this may be delayed for a short
while.