Re: [Chicken-users] Up-to-date Chicken packages for Debian Sarge availab

From: Peter Busser
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Up-to-date Chicken packages for Debian Sarge available
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 13:35:14 +0100

Hi!

> I did have to change the APT::Default-Release setting from "stable" to
> "sarge" (in apt.conf) before aptitude could see your packages instead
> of the Sarge default versions. Simple enough, but possibly something
> that can be prevented on your end? (Symlinking a stable directory to
> sarge, or similar means? I don't know enough about APT to discern the
> cause of this.)

Well, if you explicitly tell apt to install packages from a given
source, then you should not be surprised that it does exactly what you say.
Perhaps the Debian installer created that file, because it does not
exist at all on my ex-Woody-upgraded-to-Sarge machine.

Either you can comment out or remove this line in apt.conf, so the lines in the
sources.list file Just Work<tm>.

Or use the -t option with apt-get, to override the apt.conf setting, like:
apt-get -t sarge install chicken

Symlinking is no option, because ``stable'' is already symlinked to
Adamantix v1.0.4.

> The packages probably work on Ubuntu Linux as well; will test when I
> get a chance. If somebody beats me to it, information on submitting
> Ubuntu packages can be found at: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU

I'm planning to produced Ubuntu packages as soon as I have a machine
working with Ubuntu Breezy. I'm also making a list of other Debian based
distributions, to see if I can produce packages for them too.

Groetjes,
Peter.