Re: [Chicken-users] Win32 maintainer needed.. Mingw install?

From: Bob McIsaac
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Win32 maintainer needed.. Mingw install?
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 18:33:52 -0500

Sergey Khorev wrote:

Hello Bob McIsaac
BM> I tried MinGw and found it wasn't "the simplest thing that could
BM> possibly work" (as Ward Cunningham might say).  That is the fate
BM> of Unix tools on the Windows platform... compromises, work arounds,
BM> and special cases are inevitable resulting in some obfuscation.
BM> BM> On the other hand, I briefly tried http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html.
BM> It was a simple install which contained the essentials of Mingw. But I
BM> don't know enough to recommend that tool at this time.

Are we talking about the MinGW compiler or IDE?

It is easy to install an IDE that includes MinGw but difficult, in my
view to install, the MinGw toolchain on it's own because it is not
a cohesive package.
What we have here is distribution of complexity.  Someone has to
deal with it and I admire and thank those who contribute these tools.
But why not make the user experience as simple as possible for the
ultimate benefit of all?