Re: [Chicken-users] Win32 maintainer needed

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Win32 maintainer needed
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 20:55:04 -0800

Bob McIsaac wrote:

IMO, maintaining a universal build tool that works for both windows and unix
is too complicated given the broken-minded idioms found on the windows
platform. Mingw and Cygwin only extend this complexity. So it is better
to have a separate windows build system.

I am tempted to fume mightily at you for such a remark. So I will ask 4 pointed questions, to see if I'm overracting and there is indeed a basis for rational discussion:

1) do you care about building stuff on Windows? Is this actually important to you, or are you one of those Unix-only types?

2) what do you propose as a "separate Windows build system," considering that Windows has many compilers, all requiring different build systems? Are you proposing anything other than "well I was just going to support my own favorite compiler and leave other people hanging" ?

3) do you actually know anything about CMake?

4) are you doing, or going to do, any real work to resolve cross-platform build issues?

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every
"We live in a world of very bright people building
crappy software with total shit for tools and process."
                               - Ed McKenzie