Re: [Chicken-users] 2.2 on windows gunzip and tar

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] 2.2 on windows gunzip and tar
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 15:48:57 -0800

Daishi Kato wrote:

BTW, chicken-setup requires gunzip and tar.
What kind of tools are the people who uses chicken on win32 using?
The gunzip binary from the GNU site works fine, but the tar binary does not.
I don't like to install SFU since it comes with many other tools (too big).
I have been using http://www.7-zip.org successfully for tar.gz stuff. Sometimes it chokes on .zip stuff, in which case I fall back to WinZip. 7-Zip is a GUI driven tool, so perhaps this doesn't solve your problem. Collections of GNU tools for Windows:
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/
http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/
I cannot vouch for their quality. "Where is the address@hidden@# tool?" is an issue that periodically pops up. I imagine chicken-setup would force the issue. I still haven't gotten far enough with building Chicken reliably on Windows to move on to chicken-setup issues, but hey, signature gathering is over so this week I can try to beat CMake into submission. I would say that relying on shoddy / haphazard GNU tools on Windows is not a good design. Ideally Chicken would have its own reliable tar and gz reader libraries and not be dependent on external tools.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every
"The pioneer is the one with the arrows in his back."
                         - anonymous entrepreneur