Re: [Chicken-users] Wierd error running chicken

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Wierd error running chicken
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 07:42:52 +0200

On 10/6/05, John Lenz <address@hidden> wrote:
> I was just running the SWIG chicken test suite to see if it still ran,
> since we are planning on releasing a new version of SWIG.  I am getting a
> very strange error.  Well, the error itself isn't that strange.  But
> adding a blank line with a comment on it causes the error to disappear.
> This is with the 2.2 snapshot of chicken, and the example is from SWIG
> CVS.  (also compiling on Ubuntu amd64).

This is some sort of memory-management issue. Wading through the
program via gdb shows up that dead/gc'd objects are used somewhere.
The blanks/displays/comments just change the memory layout and
the GC frequency, since the code is interpreted and such performs
more allocation and GC.

I get errors with both versions of the runme-script, for example.
Since you are running csi with the -q option, any existing .csirc
is loaded. In my case, it loads the debug egg. Without the debug
egg the code works fine. Do you have a .csirc on your system?

I assume the swig-wrapper leaks some data-references somewhere,
but I'll have to gdb some more...