Re: [Chicken-users] Compilers vs. interpreters

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Compilers vs. interpreters
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 09:38:13 +0200

On 5/31/05, Ed Watkeys <address@hidden> wrote:

> All this talk of Chicken's differing behaviors when interpeting vs.
> compiling code has gotten me thinking. Who here uses compiled code
> and who here simply uses the interpreter? My work follows a rough
> 90/10 split: I never bother compiling the vast majority of the code I
> execute with Chicken.
>
> For my needs, performance is nearly always Good Enough when
> interpreted, and if it's not, I think about data structure and
> algorithmic changes before considering compiling.

Since I do a lot of C/C++ glue coding, I compile a lot. But testing
is nearly always done in csi. I, too, found csi's performance acceptable
for daily tasks (but in the end I don't think performance matters that
much nowadays).

So I compile the interface code into a .so and do all the rest via
csi scripts.