Re: [Chicken-users] Win32 COM with Chicken?

From: Graham Fawcett
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Win32 COM with Chicken?
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 10:09:50 -0400

On 5/3/05, felix winkelmann <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 5/2/05, Graham Fawcett <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I wonder if anyone has implemented a general Win32 COM client module
> > for Chicken, or has some sample code that might be the basis for such
> > a module?
>
> Well, it's possible of course. "Just" a lot of FFI hacking. Hey, I have a
> COM book at home, I should take a look into it again...

I'd love to read your definition of "just". ;-)

Yeah, I thought of grabbing some OLE Automation examples in C, and
trying to rewrite them. I wanted to learn Chicken's FFI anyway. ;-) I
suspect that whatever I can come up with would be terribly limited,
but might be enough to do some useful work. If you get there first,
please let me know!

BTW, my first target for translation was going to be this MSDN howto:

HOWTO: Use OLE Automation from a C Application Rather Than C++
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;181473

It's a short example of launching an OLE app, querying it, setting a property.

Cheers,
-- Graham