Re: [Chicken-users] question about garbage collector

From: John Lenz
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] question about garbage collector
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 19:15:42 +0000

On 12/14/04 03:39:41, felix winkelmann wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 07:34:14 +0000, John Lenz <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > What I am doing here is creating a new symbol table, and then loading into
> > it the type_pointer.
> > I create a memory region with C_malloc.  That memory is never freed, but
> > instead it is reused.
> > These two functions are the only ones to access this pointer, so reusing
> > memory should not be a
> > problem.  I first use space for the pointer, and the way C_intern_in works
> > it does not allocate
> > data from a when the symbol is already found, so the memory from the
> > initial call in space will
> > not be touched.
> > I can't use C_alloc since this function returns control back to some other
> > function.
> >
> > 1) Does this interact correctly with the garbage collector?  Since the
> > variables stored in
> > space do not have sub-objects, we don't need to recursivly call mark on
> > anything.  Second,
> > the memory will not be collected because the pointer will exist thoughout
> > the life of the program.
> > This is only around 50 bytes or so, and will only be one of these per
> > module,
> > so it isn't really a problem.
>
> If you never store anything that must be kept alive in the symbol, then
> this should work. You can build arbitrary structures with proper
> headers that look like normal Scheme data, but exist in non-GC'd heap
> as long as you don't put references to live Scheme data into those
> structures. The collector simply ignores all pointers that point outside
> of the GC'd heap.

Well actually, you could walk from the swig_module_info pointer along the SWIG
data
structures all the way to a bunch of scheme callback functions.  But those
callback functions
are stored inside a CHICKEN_gc_root.  :)

> > 2) Would it be better to use the code commented out there at the end, and
> > use C_heaptop instead
> > of allocating data with C_malloc?    My concern with using C_heaptop is
> > actually
> > the code there in C_demand and C_rereclaim.  What happens is that the
> > swig_init function looks
> > something like this
> >

> I think you're right not to use C_heaptop, since the amount of data
> needed is bounded and relatively small, doing it the way you do
> will be more efficient and predictable.
> If I understand correctly, the SetModule call with re-use the symbol,
> but creates a new pointer-object (but with re-used storage for that
> pointer-object), right?

Yes.  I recreate the pointer object because it might have moved somewhere else
during garbage collection?  Or does the garbage collector see the pointer inside
the symbol table to the C_intern symbol, and never actually look at either the
C_intern
or the C_mpointer variables?  In that case, I could just do C_set_block_item to
set the
pointer a second time (although it doesn't really matter).

struct swig_module_info {
  //other stuff
  swig_module_info *next;
};
are stored in a circularly linked list.

So the init function first calls GetModule, and if one is found adds itself to
the linked
list.  Thus only the first module will call SetModule, I am just trying to
make sure it doesn't fail in wierd ways if for some chance it gets called twice.

John