Re: [Chicken-users] update: complex egg

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] update: complex egg
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 08:19:47 +0200

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 15:03:24 -0500, Peter Keller <address@hidden> wrote:

> > It would be possible, but for native support of complex numbers I would
> > strongly suggest adding a new primitive data type to CHICKEN and using
> > the C library routines for modification of complex numbers internally,
> > because this would bring a huge performance gain compared to my native
> > Scheme implementation.
>
> I had implemented a 99% binding to the GNU MP library. Maybe that could
> be utilized for the full numeric tower implementation in Chicken.

Actually I think using gmp and writing  a separate library (perhaps with
additional, tuned C functions) might be the most worthwhile approach.
I'd really like to keep the base system as it is. Since `require-extension'
can do all sorts of things (like the declarations to disable inlining,
as demonstrated in the complex egg, or to provide inline-definitions)
it should work seamlessly with compiled code.