Re: [Chicken-users] building readline extension on OSX problem: csc incl

From: Ed Watkeys
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] building readline extension on OSX problem: csc include directory (-I switch)
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 17:01:56 -0400

On Aug 30, 2004, at 3:53 PM, felix wrote:

address@hidden wrote:
On 30 Aug 2004, Ed Watkeys <address@hidden> wrote:
Since the subject came up... I would suggest adhering to the GNU standards regarding command-line options.
Seconded.
That would mean double dashes for verbose options, and single dashes for single-character optons. Additionally, there would be a verbose option for each single-character one. Here's a useful document:

http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards_18.html
And as chicken already supports SRFI-37
( http://srfi.schemers.org/srfi-37/srfi-37.html )
it should be easy to implement.

I have to admit that I'm no fan of the double hyphen.

Neither was I, but I became a fan for a very simple reason: It makes any multi-character option that starts with a single dash unambiguously a set of single-character options. You can have a single-character and a verbose version of each option, allowing either compactness or clarity, and there is no possibility of ambiguity.

This is one of those things that should change soon -- or never. I'm sure that if GCC didn't have a billion Makefiles that depended on its non-standard command-line options, it would have been changed a long time ago.

Regards,
Ed

P.S. I came around to the GNU way of option parsing despite my intense antipathy toward nearly everything RMS stands for.

--
Watkeys Product Design
http://watkeys.com/