Re: [Chicken-users] GCC, dereferencing type-punned pointer...

From: Sven . Hartrumpf
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] GCC, dereferencing type-punned pointer...
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 11:16:57 +0200 (CEST)

Nine months ago (2003-09-07), Felix wrote:

> Sven, have you had any problems with -fstrict-aliasing?

No.

> I would be  interested
> how your nallch performs with/without that option.

No significant differences: strict aliasing reduces runtime by 2%.

Details:
I tried 4 combinations of my parser
(on an AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+ running SuSE 8.2, chicken from CVS):

CB: chicken build
AB: application build (using csc/chicken)

1. CB without strict aliasing, AB without strict aliasing

2. CB without strict aliasing, AB with    strict aliasing
   same binary as for 1.

3. CB with    strict aliasing, AB without strict aliasing
   gcc (3.4.0, -O3 -fno-strict-aliasing) fails with an out of memory error (my
fault?)

4. CB with    strict aliasing, AB with    strict aliasing
   2% faster than 1.

Ciao
Sven