Re: [Chicken-users] a couple of questions about foreign functions

From: Valentyn Kamyshenko
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] a couple of questions about foreign functions
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 00:38:06 -0800

On Jan 22, 2004, at 12:02 AM, Felix Winkelmann wrote:

Am Wed, 21 Jan 2004 23:52:38 -0800 hat Valentyn Kamyshenko <address@hidden> geschrieben:

When this function returns, `buf' will point into a dead stack area,
so the data is likely to be corrupted after the return.

I suspected it!.

What makes the following code correct, then (have found it in runtime.c):

[...]

it looks like the vector is created on the stack, and then 'returned' to the continuation...

Indeed. But the invocation of the continuation (via `C_kontinue') does
*never* return, the data will remain on the stack and be collected
when a certain stack-limit is reached. C-code wrapped with ##core#primitive
invokes it's continuation (and thus the stack is not popped), but code
wrapped with foreign-[callback-]lambda will return normally, in C fashion.

finally, I got it.
I had an impression that foreign-lambda never returns (that is, that it behaves the same way as ##core#primitive). I'd suggest to add a line to the documentation that makes it clear.
Thank you!

Yet another question.
Do I understand correctly, that for proper signal handling (in unix) the main branch should explicitly pass control to the scheduler? That is, e.g., if I use a library that uses (blocking) select or accept, the signals will be queued until the select (or accept) returns?
Is there a workaround?

Thanks,

        Valentyn.