Re: [Chicken-users] ideas

From: chicken-users-admin
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] ideas
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 22:09:04 +0100

> My thoughts go along the line of inspecting the CPAN archives for commonly
> used perl packages, LWP, CGI(especially the param function), DBI, etc. and
> lifting them for implementations in chicken.

Sounds like a good idea! (Although personally, my tastes run more to
the python rather than the perl library style of things :-) )

I've been playing with little scheme webserver/servlet/cgi
implementations for a while. I think that'll be the next itch I
scratch. Hmm, I've just googled for LWP: looks like a good idea to
"follow the standard" I suppose...

I think DBI needs some serious looking at - I've adapted Oleg
Kiselyov's db-util.scm for my own use (in chickenlib), but I didn't
spend much time on it. I'm sure making a DBI-type SRFI would be easy
pickings. It'd be very popular, too.

Perhaps we need to make the chicken webpages bigger than a single
page? :-) A page listing "ongoing projects" and "requests for
implementation" (as it were) might be handy...

Perhaps savannah.gnu.org could set us up a CGI WikiWiki. Perhaps we
could even write a WikiWiki in Scheme :-)

Actually, that reminds me - another thing I like having around in a
language is persistence. Chicken has "serialize" and "deserialize",
which are fine, but which can't flatten procedures. How could we get
to a point where procedures could be externalized like any other
datatype? I bet it's a long way off :-)

Tony
--
Monkeys high on math -- some of the best comedy on earth
        - Tom Lord, regarding comp.lang.scheme