Re: [Chicken-users] Things I forgot [Was: the future of Chicken]

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Things I forgot [Was: the future of Chicken]
Date: 09 Aug 2002 10:42:55 -0400

"felix" <address@hidden> writes:
> * Support for the full numeric tower, ideally built on top of Pete's
>   GMP library. This would need a patch to the compiler to disallow
>   rewriting calls to `+', etc. (but the patch can be done via `-extend').

Hmm. Perhaps good, but I'll note that GMP is GPLed. If you intend to
keep Chicken BSD licensed, you would be better off using the MP
library from OpenSSL. It is damn fast, too, and if you incorporate
enough of its interfaces, you get very fast modular bignum arithmetic
suitable for all sorts of evil cryptographic uses. As someone who
intends to build code that does evil cryptographic stuff I find that
attractive. :)

If of course you don't intend to keep Chicken BSD licensed, it doesn't
matter, but I will note one of the things that attracted me to it was
the license.

--
Perry E. Metzger                address@hidden