Re: [Chicken-users] -fstrict-aliasing

From: felix
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] -fstrict-aliasing
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 09:09:38 +0200

> Hi Felix... I'm back (from 4 weeks holiday) working on getting Chicken
> working on Sparc and PA-RISC again, and I'm just wondering about
> -fstrict-aliasing: specifically, why did you enable it explicitly? The
> reason I'm curious is that I'm wondering if Chicken is doing any
> aliasing that's technically illegal under strict aliasing rules...

`-fstrict-aliasing' turned out to speed things up a bit. Doug Quale
reported that it worked (I guess he tried out a couple of switches by
trial-and-error) and so I added it. For example on x86 platforms,
`-mpreferred-stack-boundary=2' gives another slight speedup.
I'm not sure wether the code generated by Chicken is safe for strict
aliasing. I just hadn't any trouble with it yet.

Good to know that you are back!