chicken-janitors

Re: [Chicken-janitors] release management

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: [Chicken-janitors] release management
Date: 09 Mar 2008 10:10:03 -0300

Hi Peter and folks,

On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 19:40:06 +0100 Peter Bex <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 08, 2008 at 10:25:35AM -0800, Elf wrote:
> >
> > ivan and others:
> >
> > we need to discuss release management cycles.
> >
> > we also need warning when release tags will change.
>
> A little more background might be in order:
>
> Today we got a visit from someone who maintains a chicken package
> for the pkgsrc package managing system.  His package was for Chicken 3.0.0.
> Apparently the 3.0.0 tarball linked to from the homepage got changed
> so the checksum in pkgsrc did not match anymore and this made the package
> break.

Apparently some changes were applied to the release branch.  The
release branch should not be changed, unless there's a version change.
Otherwise, the checksum will change and packagers will complain, even
if the code isn't modified.

We need to rethink the release process.  The approach being used
nowadays is an adaptation from the time trunk was be the stable
Chicken.  So, today we have a script which fetches and bootstrap
Chicken from the release branch and publishes it at
http://chicken.wiki.br/releases (the adaptation is that now this
script uses release, not trunk).

My suggestion is that we have a script which would be manually run
when a new release is ready.  This script would generate the source
tarball (with C file), windows and linux binaries, PDF manual and
publish everything at http://chicken-wiki.br/releases (actually we
have this script, but it is automatically run everyday.)

Best wishes,
Mario