Re: [Chicken-hackers] Patch for ticket #1587

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Patch for ticket #1587
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2019 20:33:09 +0100

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 02:25:33PM -0500, John Cowan wrote:
> See the ticket for explanations.

After discussing on IRC, I'm not sure I believe this is correct.
Given that we don't support complex numbers of mixed exactness, it
makes more sense to return 0.0 for the imaginary part of a flonum.

Inexactness is contagious in complex numbers; if any of the two
parts are inexact, the entire number is inexact.  I think it's
quite counter-intuitive to return exact zero for the imaginary part
of a flonum, even though we know it to be "not there", so exactly
zero.  So given that, I would lean towards keeping the current
behaviour, especially since this would strictly speaking require
us to go through the change request process.

What do others think about this?

Cheers,
Peter