Re: [Chicken-hackers] new CHICKEN 5 egg installation

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] new CHICKEN 5 egg installation
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 14:08:33 +0100

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 02:00:46PM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
> Some time ago there was a strong interest in supporting mulitple local egg
> repos (i.e. CHICKEN_REPOSITORY would specify a list of directories, each
> of which may contain eggs). Would that allow dropping -prefix, and still
> provide a way to split installations across multiple directories, and thus
> solve
> the requirements for packaging (-no-install-deps) and Salmonella?

I think that would be a nice way to support this, and would also make a
Python virtualenv-like tool possible, so one can have local project-specific
installations of different egg version combinations.

> > * Do we need `doc-from-wiki'?
>
> I forgot. What was the original intention? I think it was to mark where
> documentation
> was to be found, for some tools or so, but I can't remember.

I think that was needed back when we had both eggdoc and wiki, in the
CHICKEN 3 or early CHICKEN 4 days.  Currently nothing uses this anymore,
so it can be deleted.

> I think the reorganization of the libraries and modules by that notorious
> newzealander has made bootstrapping somewhat difficult... I did the
> following, IIRC:
>
> 1. build a bootstrap chicken from 4.12.0
> 2. used that chicken-boot to build C5
> 3. build a boot-chicken from the C5 chicken
> 4. used that bootstrap chicken to build the branch

Yo dawg, I heard you liked bootstrapping :)

Cheers,
Peter