Re: [Chicken-hackers] Argvector all the things!

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Argvector all the things!
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 08:17:24 +0200

On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 09:46:49PM +0000, Mario Domenech Goulart wrote:
> > So we'd have to do the tagging and version
> > bumping locally, then build the snapshot manually and upload it,
> > and only *then* push the git repo, I think.
> >
> > Mario: Is that the correct way of doing it?
>
> It looks ok, if I understand it correctly.  Alternatively, we can just
> disable the automatic generation of dev-snapshots while we are tagging
> the repo.

Ah, of course.

> One thing is not clear to me: we currently have to build the static
> bootstrap compiler for argvector in a branch then switch to another
> branch to build the final compiler.  How would we do that?  Manually?

Yes, that's the only way to do it.  That's why I asked.  Once we have
a snapshot, people (and Salmonella boxes) can build from there when they
need a version from git.  So only one person needs to jump through the
hoops necessary to get a working argvector CHICKEN.

> > Finally, I would really like a clean Salmonella comparison of "before"
> > and "after" the argvector version, but as soon as we push the
> > merged version, all the Salmonella boxes will start breaking until
> > the branches are reconfigured to be built with the argvector snapshots.
> > Is there an easy way to do this in a sane way, such that we can compare
> > the breakage caused by argvector?
>
> We can just let things break and manually generate a salmonella diff
> with the logs immediately before and after the switch to argvector.
> salmonella-diff's usage is very simple.

Ah, that's good too, of course.

> One thing we should be careful with is the build system.
> salmonella-run-publish won't tolerate build errors.

What happens if it does encounter build errors?

> So, we should make
> sure that we can use a chicken tarball to build the bootstrap compiler
> ("make boot-chicken" should run successfully) and complete the build
> with "make install check" using the bootstrap compiler.  If these steps
> work, salmonella is likely to run without problems.

Is it possible to compile different branches with different CHICKENS?
Otherwise we need to disable all the builds of pre-argvector versions.

Cheers,
Peter