Re: [Chicken-hackers] Eggification & static linking

From: Felix Winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Eggification & static linking
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 21:34:09 +0200 (CEST)

From: Evan Hanson <address@hidden>
Subject: [Chicken-hackers] Eggification & static linking
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 11:21:40 -0700

> Hi hackers,
>
> As core units are eggified, the ability to build statically-linked
> programs that use their features is going, too. I think it would be good
> to include an object along with the other files installed for each of
> the units that have been ripped out of core, so that users can at least
> point a linker at them manually to preserve any static builds they had
> on CHICKEN 4. This is simple for the newly-moved core units as they
> don't have any dependencies. Objections?

Sounds good. It's not the most elegant approach, but pragmatic.

Once we settle on a new format for setup-specifications, we should try
to find a way to achieve general support for static linking (which
isn't that hard, once there is a declarative or semi-declarative way
of specifying an egg-build).

felix