Re: [Chicken-hackers] library unit restructuring

From: Evan Hanson
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] library unit restructuring
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2014 14:37:57 -0700

On 2014-07-09 13:05, Felix Winkelmann wrote:
> It would be nice to have some hierarchical naming for core
> modules, what do you think about "chicken.string", "chicken.list"
> etc. (even though I prefer the plural form, that is, "strings")? In
> R7RS that would map to "(chicken string)" and so on. I can't remember
> whether we have considered "list"-syntax for module names yet. Should
> that be added? There is some ambiguity with that, when
> import-modifiers come into play...

I don't think there's been any real discussion of it yet. I'm for it, at
least, and there shouldn't be any ambiguity disallowing "only" et al (as
described in the other fork of this thread).

I like "chicken.string", "chicken.list", "chicken.ports", etc. It seems
like "chicken.string" might be a good one to start with as a proof of
concept, since it's fairly obvious what should be moved there from
data-structures (anything with "string" in its name, and possibly
"conc") and it'll probably only go one level under "chicken" (as in,
it'll consist of two parts, "chicken.string", and not more like, say,
"chicken.data.queue" (which is a bad example as it'll be eggified, but
still)).

Evan