[Chicken-hackers] Fwd: Re: [ANN]: Port Chicken to AIX

From: Erik Falor
Subject: [Chicken-hackers] Fwd: Re: [ANN]: Port Chicken to AIX
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 17:10:55 -0600

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 09:08:02PM +0200, Peter Bex wrote:
> > Some questions:
> >
> > * does "make ... check" work on AIX?
>
> This is very important indeed.  Note that make check only works after
> you've run "make install".  It doesn't matter where you installed it,
> under $HOME or anywhere else, it should work.

I've come to the conclusion that the private repository test fails
because (repository-path), when run by a program compiled by csc with
-private-repository, can't resolve the directory in which the running
process resides.  There is a function defined in chicken.h,
C_path_to_executable() which contains platform-specific code for
achieving the equivalent of `dirname /proc/$$/exe` on Linux.  I've
tried a few things on AIX but haven't yet found a good way to do it.

I'm thinking my best bet will be:
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/topic?id=77777777-0000-0000-0000-000014549033

> Some minor notes:
>
> - You've forgotten to update distribution/manifest (I know, easy to overlook,
>    I've also forgotten it before) and the NEWS file (please add a note under
>    the 4.8.3 heading, which has *just* hit the repo).

I can't forget to do something I didn't know about ;)  I've never
looked at the manifest file before.  Once I get the Makefile sorted
out I'll be happy to update this, and any other metadata file you need
me to.

> - It's probably better to replace the copyright notice with only a 2013 one.
>    This provides a better clue as to how long this file has existed.

Can do.

> - Next time, could you send a patch file attached to your mail?  We're not
>    on github, so pull requests are not very useful.  Mail fits our workflow
>    better.  You can generate such patches using "git format-patch -1", or
>    -2, -3 etc depending on how many commits you want to send.

I will be happy to do this, too.

> Questions:
>
> - Could you also explain a little more about the compiler flags you've added
>    to csc.scm?  Maybe add a comment above it, for future maintainers.

No problem.

> - Why is stty not compiling?  NetBSD also doesn't have ncurses as
>    native curses library, but stty works there anyway.  AFAIK it doesn't
>    link against curses nor use its header files, it just does some ioctls.

I'll get back to this one when the other things are sorted out - the
incompatibility with ncurses was just a guess on my part.  I'll look
forward to becoming more familiar with the stty egg when I sort this
out.

--
Erik Falor                                       http://unnovative.net
Registered Linux User #445632                  http://linuxcounter.net