Re: [Chicken-hackers] Dropping SunCC and Solaris 9

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Dropping SunCC and Solaris 9
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 15:22:16 -0400

Peter Bex scripsit:

> I somehow assumed this patch was for a recent version of Solaris.

In principle, you can run the old SunCC compiler on Solaris 10 or even 11.
But who would, with gcc, clang, and the Oracle Solaris Studio C compiler
(C99 and high quality) around?  The last is even available on Linux,
despite its name.

> Same goes for Windows XP, IMHO.

It's *still* way too soon to say that, despite the official EOL being only
12 months away.  Windows 7 and Windows XP are still almost neck-and-neck
with 45% and 39% shares across *all* desktop systems, with Vista at
5%, Windows 8 and Mac OS X at 3% each, and 5% for everything else.
Windows XP is in its twelfth year, with more staying power than any
desktop OS has ever had, and I don't see it going away fast no matter
how much Microsoft tries to clamp down on users or scare them away.  See
<http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/european-technology/ok-so-stick-with-windows-xp-but-how-big-a-risk-do-you-run/1627>
for an extremely current view.

--
John Cowan  address@hidden   http://ccil.org/~cowan
Promises become binding when there is a meeting of the minds and consideration