Re: [Chicken-hackers] software-type and software-version for android

From: Moritz Heidkamp
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] software-type and software-version for android
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 20:42:15 +0100

Christian Kellermann <address@hidden> writes:
>> That's not quite true, is it? See
>> https://android.googlesource.com/platform/prebuilts/ndk/+/master/8/platforms/android-9/arch-arm/usr/include/pthread.h
>
> Ah the NDK...

Right, and the NDK is practically the only way to integrate Chicken with
Android as far as I know, i.e. in order to build Chicken for Android you
need to use the NDK toolchain. So this is not tangential, is it?

> Ok, instead of doing further guesswork, I checked the source.  Well
> the software type is used to branch off to do system dependend
> things in csc (generate a manifest for windows), in eval.scm to do
> the windows dll loading dance. So if you want to support android
> and will do different things while compiling (providing a correct
> manifest etc.) having a distinct 'android type still makes more
> sense to me than declaring it all unix. Android is definitely not
> unix at all.

I don't really understand the distinction between the two values from
their use in the code, actually. For example, in eval.scm
##sys#load-library-extension dispatches on both software-type and
software-version for seemingly the same purpose (granted, it does have a
comment saying "this is crude..."). In csc.scm, software-type is (as you
pointed out) to check whether a manifest is to be generated on Windows
but OTOH software-version is checked for whether to generate ELF
binaries. This doesn't seem like fundamentally different things to me,
so I'm a bit confused now. Maybe Felix can enlighten us? :-)

Moritz