Re: [Chicken-hackers] [patch] utils: qs not escaping pipes

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] [patch] utils: qs not escaping pipes
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 09:10:53 +0100

On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 06:00:17PM +0100, Michele La Monaca wrote:
> While backslash-escaping is equivalent to its corresponding quoting,
> the same is not true for caret-escaping. Depending on the context one
> is more appropriate than the other. AFAICT the "general" rule is to
> use double-quoting for pathnames and caret-escaping for textual
> strings.

Do you have a reference where we can read up on this "caret escaping"?
If it's context-dependent it seems like it would be impossible to decide
generally which to use, and we might need an extra option to choose
between both quoting forms (abusing the "quoting" option for this is
wrong because the difference in Windows is semantical while in Unix it
seems to be purely aesthetical).

> 1) added the characters '|' '=' '^' ','
> 2) removed the charater '%'. I don't see a good reason to escape it. Am I
> wrong?
> 3) removed a non ASCII character (0xb4). Why it was there?
>
> If you see missteps or ways to improve please raise your hands.

I see zero usefulness in the "backwards compatibility" feature.  It just
doubles the size of the code with no advantage except "it may be more
readable in a few cases".  I think if this more readable version is
desirable to have (which I seriously doubt), it should be put in an egg.

Cheers,
Peter
--
http://www.more-magic.net