Re: [Chicken-hackers] [patch] utils: qs not escaping pipes

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] [patch] utils: qs not escaping pipes
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 21:21:28 +0100

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 09:13:16PM +0100, Felix wrote:
> > Could someone more knowledgeable about Windows please take a look at
> > the version for that platform?  That implementation does not look correct
> > at all.  It would be great if we could have a correct version for Windows
> > as well.
>
> There is no correct version for Windows. Using double-quotes is as
> good as one can get. Note that using double quotes for the
> command-part of a qs'd shell command requires wrapping the whole
> command string into yet another pair of double quotes. I'm not making
> this up.  It's just impossible to get this right, so I recommend
> to leave the Windows parts as it is.

*shakes head in disbelief*.  If that's really true this should be
made _very explicit_ in the manual, so people know what to expect.
Perhaps point out the "process" interfaces as an alternative.
Maybe deprecate "qs" entirely?

Does this "double wrap" requirement mean my change to setup-api will
cause breakage on Windows?  If the change is *not* made, the patch for
qs breaks on UNIX.

Cheers,
Peter
--