Re: [Chicken-hackers] windows paths with spaces

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] windows paths with spaces
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 22:24:39 +0100

On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 08:27:07PM +0100, Felix wrote:
> > Find attached the changes I made to the file setup-api.scm.
> >
> > Note: My tests were done using the release version chicken-4.8.0. The patch
> > file attached applies to the git version. I have not made any tests with
> > the git version!
> >
> > I don't have the necessary knowlegde & experience to evaluate the impact of
> > this change, but on my system it (apparently) works fine. Feel free to ask
> > me to perform other tests, if it can help you.
>
> It's fully correct.

I have to disagree.  Looking at the first character and not quoting when
it's a " is a hack, and is asking for trouble.  Suppose I have a filename
which is called:

   "to be or not to be" and other famous quotes.txt

If this file is installed as part of some egg, it will fail hard because
this needs the double quoting and escaping.

> A simpler solution would be to just avoid the "shellpath"
> invocation after this particular occurrence of "find-program". I'll have to
> test this and will get back to you about the change.

I was looking at that too, and I think that's probably the simplest way
to do it for now.  It's kind of incorrect because it assumes the first
argument is correctly quoted.  The proper way to fix it is to
automatically quote every argument into the "run" macro, including the
program.  Then we can remove all other shellpath invocations.

However, doing this has quite an impact and will change the external API
as well.  This requires things like "cp -r" as the copy-program to be
separated out into its separate arguments, like `(cp -r).

I tried this this afternoon but it didn't work out.  I might try again
later.

Cheers,
Peter
--