Re: [Chicken-hackers] Patch to use better PRNG on BSD's

From: Aleksej Saushev
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Patch to use better PRNG on BSD's
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 13:33:55 +0400

  Hello!

Timo Myyrä <address@hidden> writes:

> I noticed that chicken uses old rand / srand functions when better
> alternatives are present.
> Patch makes BSD's use arc4random instead of rand.

Any BSD has libcrypto at least, and I think each one has strong
RNG implementation, e.g. rnd(4) in NetBSD, random(4) in FreeBSD.

I find using arc4random(3) as a replacement to traditional rand(3) stupid.
What is the point of it? If you need PRNG with better statistical properties,
then RC4 isn't satisfyingly better than LCG.

--
HE CE3OH...