Re: [Chicken-hackers] experimental branch

From: Christian Kellermann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] experimental branch
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 18:39:24 +0200

Dear Felix,

* felix winkelmann <address@hidden> [110625 13:51]:
> To simplify things and to avoid the regularly occurring incorrect
> merges (I'm just not a git person, you know), I'll drop the
> "experimental" branch in the chicken-core git repository. I also
> noticed that changes keep too long in this staging branch and that I
> spend too much time testing it again and again without really taking
> advantage of the excellent testing infrastructure we already have
> (Salmonella). From now one, bugfixes and small enhancements will be
> committed directly to master. This will also mean more breakage will
> occur there.

You are free to do whatever you want! :) I am not sure what your goal
is there though. Salmonella atm can only test whatever is in git. So
if you work hard on the latest and greatest stuff, we will know it
breaks only after it hits the master branch. So maybe that also isn't
that less stress you hope for?

Also I am a bit confused about the branches that are currently on git.
Which of these are considered "private" which are for the adventurous?
So far I always liked (and run) the experimental branch.

That all said, I would just like to know how I should deal with git's
branches now however you decide.

In any case http://wiki.call-cc.org/release-policy should reflect the
current state of things or be deleted from the wiki.

Kind regards,

Christian

--
Who can (make) the muddy water (clear)? Let it be still, and it will
gradually become clear. Who can secure the condition of rest? Let