Re: [Chicken-hackers] blob-literal read syntax

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] blob-literal read syntax
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 15:39:46 +0200

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 04:16:52AM -0400, Felix wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have added read-syntax for blob-literals and currently use
>
>   #{<hex...>}
>
> Since this may block the use of "#{ ... }" for user-defined read-syntax,
> I want to ask if perhaps another syntax might be preferrable.

I think the braces look pretty ugly, actually :)
Because of Javascript/JSON and Ruby braces suggest "hash" to me rather
than blob.  But I'm not sure if that's a very compelling reason not
to use it :)

> Any
> ideas? Or would the syntax above be ok for such a built-in object.

What about #blob(...) or #m(...) (for "memory") if "blob" causes
trouble with binary number literal syntax?

By the way, how is the data represented?  Will entering it like this
be dependent on the reading machine's endianness?

Cheers,
Peter
--
http://sjamaan.ath.cx