[Chicken-hackers] Re: Making chicken-install amenable to automation

From: Aleksej Saushev
Subject: [Chicken-hackers] Re: Making chicken-install amenable to automation
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 13:38:51 +0400

Timothy Beyer <address@hidden> writes:

> At Mon, 8 Jun 2009 13:07:49 +0100,
> Alaric Snell-Pym wrote:
>> 1) Fetch, which downloads a small number of files that can have their
>> checksums checked against what's on file. This means the ability to
>> get a specific version of an egg into a file. Now, the eggs manual
>> talks about .egg files as being gzipped tarballs, but what
>> henrietta.cgi actually outputs seems to be a different format,
>> involving plain text headers. What's the deal there? I see that
>> henrietta can be asked to produce a specific version of an egg, which
>> is cool, meaning pkgsrc packages can target a stable version with a
>> fixed checksum.
>
> The non-versioned egg files makes adding chicken packages to FreeBSD ports a
> challenge,
> similar to the situation you describe on NetBSD.

This isn't the problem actually, the problem is maintainance of such a package.

In reality this causes pain even when not using package management system.

> The only real alternative that I can think of (which would be
> "versioned") would be subversion checkouts during the fetch phase,
> but I seriously doubt that any of the BSDs or any of the source-based
> Linux distributions can do such a task in an elegant or standardized
> way.

We do that in pkgsrc-wip, and it works nice on all systems I have access
to (NetBSD, FreeBSD, Dragonfly). But this won't enter main distribution
due to the policy.

(Alaric, if you do want this to enter 2009Q2, you are to make haste:
"Freeze for pkgsrc-2009Q2 starting on June 14 at 23:59 UTC")

--
CKOPO CE3OH...