[Chicken-hackers] adding features to core units

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: [Chicken-hackers] adding features to core units
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 12:33:34 +0100

Hi!

I know, I'm probably starting to get on everybodies nerves by now,
but may I suggest considering to place things like file-move/file-copy
into eggs? I'm a bit concerned about the rate of growth of the core
library units. It is easy to add things, but harder to remove them.

This may be a misunderstanding on my part, but I always hoped
to keep the core clean (essentially just what is needed to run
the compiler, chicken-setup and a few basic tools) and put everything
not absolutely required into extensions. This keeps build times low,
and makes chicken more suitable for embedded devices.

I'm not complaining, just asking into what direction we are going.

cheers,
felix