Re: [Chicken-hackers] Re: repository branching

From: Alex Shinn
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Re: repository branching
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 16:21:56 +0900

    Felix> It is not quite clear to me what you want to
    Felix> achieve there, but in general, you'd do
    Felix> *nothing*, let us branch the repository (you will
    Felix> be informed when that happens)

Right, that's basically what I was waiting for :)

And also for warnings like the mail you just sent about
uncommitted changes getting clobbered (I have those).

Think of me as an upstream maintainer, for the most part
maintaining my code in external repositories, who takes the
time to copy files over to svn and commit them mostly
because it was such a low barrier to entry.  Even a
relatively simple change in infrastructure is enough for me
to want to hold off and worry about it later.  I don't like
svn, I think branching just represents the fundamental
brokeness of centralized version control systems, and would
prefer to not spend my free time reading up on and learning
about things I don't like.

I'm not angry or frustrated - I hope my tone doesn't appear
that way - I just think carefully before spending my time
doing something.

I'd also like to point out that although stability is a
worthwhile goal, somewhat artificially freezing eggs
according to what version they were in when the core Chicken
version jumped from 2 to 3 doesn't help much in that
respect.  Users who checked out eggs a year or two ago will
still see any new changes to those eggs the next time they
update or install on a new machine, and those changes may
very well break things.  Users using Chicken version 3 will
still see all new changes as eggs are modified.  Only users
who from this point onward start to use version 2 will see
any kind of stability.

The real solution is to have eggs depend on specific
versions of other eggs, and to make all versions of
everything available indefinitely, but that requires a lot
of work and a lot of space.

--
Alex