[Chicken-hackers] Re: Egg filename versioning

From: Ivan Shmakov
Subject: [Chicken-hackers] Re: Egg filename versioning
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 00:27:11 +0600

 > We (the gentoo scheme people) would like to provide eggs via our
 > packaging system.

        Great!

        Although I don't use Gentoo, I see that the absense of the
        Chicken extensions from the major GNU/Linux distributions is the
        main factor preventing Chicken from being considered as a viable
        competitor (or, rather, counterpart) to Python, Perl and Tcl.

        (Personally, I'm interested in packaging Chicken extensions for
        Debian.)

[...]

 > However, in order to do this /properly/, we need the egg filenames to
 > include version information. I won't go into the details, but i'll
 > just say that without that, we'd have to use our existing mechanisms
 > for live (cvs/snv/git/etc) packages, and these would be
 > unsatisfactory, both from a packager and a user point of view, when
 > it comes to eggs.

        Could you extract the version number out of a `.setup' file,
        contained within, IIUC, all the `.egg's?

        At the very last resort, one may periodically fetch the `.egg's
        of interest and, after looking at the `.setup' file, rename them
        and move to an HTTP-accessible location.  (It shouldn't be hard
        to put all this in a script; especially, a Scheme script.)

[...]