Re: [Chicken-hackers] anybody good with cmake?

From: Brandon Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] anybody good with cmake?
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 11:45:44 -0400

On 8/14/07, Ivan Raikov <address@hidden> wrote:
> Peter Bex <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > It can never be worse than autohell.
>
>   Famous last words. ;-)

Anyone looking for a super duper easy to use build system needs to get
that out of their head right now.  No such thing exists.  CMake is
clearly an improvement on Autohell.  CMake does have a learning curve.
 The basics of CMake are pretty easy to get started with.  The guru
stuff is what will swallow your time.  I'm happy to answer the guru
questions.

Let's not forget that the initial cut of a Chicken build materialized
from a CMake newbie in but a few days.  I forget who should get credit
for that, it wasn't me.  That initial cut wasn't terribly replicable,
and Bill Hoffman from Kitware handed me better starter code, but the
point is, even a newbie was able to show proof-of-concept.  That's
what convinced me to take on the job, knowing that even someone green
could produce a build.

For those of you don't work on build systems on a regular basis, I
think there's a phenomenon you may be failing to appreciate.  If a
build system makes the basics easier for you, then you will only
endeavor to tackle more difficult problems.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every