Re: [Chicken-hackers] chicken repo (intentionally) gone (revision contro

From: Matthew Welland
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] chicken repo (intentionally) gone (revision control)
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 11:00:09 -0700

Just a data point to contribute. I use monotone to maintain changes to svn
controlled code very successfully. For example I could check out the
chicken sources via svn, import them (and history if desired) into
monotone. I would maintain two branches in my monotone db, a branch tied to
the official chicken tree and a branch for my changes. I do this with
several projects at work with both cvs, rcs and svn repos on one side and
monotone on the other and I love it. By maintaining two branches in
monotone I can use propogate to let things diverge on one side for a while
then fully propogate when it is time to converge. Everyone is happy with
svn or rcs and I can use monotone for the same code and work on my laptop
disconnected :-)

My largest monotone db is over 200MB (code/data size) and performance has
been reasonable. Make sure to run "mtn inodeprints" if you are managing a
large tree.

One minor request for the svn repo would be to add ignores for the metadata
directories for tools such as monotone (eg. _MTN).

Matt
--

--
http://www.kiatoa.com, fight for a better world.