Re: [Chicken-hackers] SDL as an OpenGL windowng toolkit

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] SDL as an OpenGL windowng toolkit
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 00:27:06 -0800

felix winkelmann wrote:
On 2/5/07, Brandon J. Van Every <address@hidden> wrote:
felix winkelmann wrote:
> On 2/4/07, Brandon J. Van Every <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> But GLUT is the most ancient dead and buried code out there. It's not
>> under open source license and the last version of it belongs in a
>> crypt. There are alternatives such as FreeGLUT which are more modern,
>> but I won't vouch for FreeGLUT.  Didn't look like that active of a
>> project, last I checked.  FLTK seemed to have much more recent
>> development behind it.
>>

> IIRC, SDL is quite established as a GL "wrapper", isn't it? (probably
> plus
> custom widget libraries).

I'm never quite sure of SDL's relationship to OpenGL.  SDL is a front
end for a lot of 2D windowing systems, not just OpenGL.  SDL is both old
and huge.  It may be hard to maintain.  I suppose it should be looked at
though.  I have my doubts that it's the right foundation.

Are you sure we are talking about the same SDL? I mean http://www.libsdl.org.

Yes we are. None of the leading open source 3D game engines are written on top of SDL.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every