Re: [Chicken-hackers] Build problems

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Build problems
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 22:36:35 -0800

Tony Sidaway wrote:

My system:

automake (GNU automake) 1.7.6

Now why didn't you get a warning saying that Automake 1.8.3 or higher is required? We have AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(1.8.3) in our configure.in. Or did you get the warning and ignore it? Or did you get a screenful of gibberish and not notice a warning? In which case it wouldn't be your fault, it would be an inadequate warning. Anyways we did try to bulletproof your seeming immediate problem, and for some reason it didn't work. So the question is whether it's user error or an inadequate safety mechanism.

In any event, I recommend you drop this Automake crap. Use CMake. Because unlike Automake, it isn't hell to use or understand.

This does remind me that README.darcs needs to be banished / modified. I spaced that out last time I thought of it. I think I will try putting it in the bugtracker, because I'm not up to rewriting stuff at the moment.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every