Re: [Chicken-hackers] CMake vs. Autoconf

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] CMake vs. Autoconf
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 08:18:05 +0100

On 12/11/06, Brandon J. Van Every <address@hidden> wrote:

 - CMake is the future of Chicken.

Well, that sounds a bit heavy, but I certainly prefer CMake to autotools.

 - CMake is the primary build system on Windows.  The MinGW, Cygwin, and
MSVC compilers are well tested.

Correct (I don't know about the current state of testing, but Windows builds
are exclusively with CMake).

 - CMake is now the only way you can build for the MSVC compiler.

Right.

 - CMake had some Linux bugs a month ago.  They seem to have been addressed
by CMake 2.4.5.  The Linux build should be working fine, but hasn't received
as much use and testing as the Autoconf build.

Yup.

 - CMake has been known to build on the Mac, but nobody's been reporting on
this recently.

Works ok for me.

 - CMake is the canonical method by which Chicken DISTRIBUTIONS are created.
 If you want to modify the canonical distro, you have to work with CMake.

Currently not. I forgot what exactly was the problem, but will check this once
I find some time and get back to you (Brandon) to make it work again.

 - Brandon will chase complicated CMake problems, if they're important.
Felix isn't a CMake guru yet.

...and probably never going to be.

 - Autoconf is still supported.   It works well on Linux.  It usually works
on Cygwin.  It has often stopped working on MinGW / MSYS.  Autoconf cannot
build on MSVC at all.

Exactly.

 - Brandon won't chase complicated Autoconf problems.  Felix might.

If absolutely necessary.

 - Patches or solutions for Autoconf bugs are certainly welcome.

Indeed.

 - Brandon won't accept changes that fix Autoconf but break CMake.  Nor,
changes that improve Chicken when built with Autoconf, but not with CMake.
A lot of effort has been put into unifying the 2 builds, so that everyone
can eventually migrate to CMake.  Not looking for people to run off in the
Autoconf-only direction anymore.

A lot of work it was. I wouldn't put it that harshly, but getting a sane build
environment working is certainly prefered than muddling with m4 macros
or obsolete libtool versions. Unfortunately autotools is still kind of standard,
so if possible I will try to keep that build working, somehow (but actually
Brandon did a good lot himself, while unifying the builds).

cheers,
felix

--
http://galinha.ucpel.tche.br:8081/blog/blog.ssp