[Chicken-hackers] Debian packaging problems

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: [Chicken-hackers] Debian packaging problems
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 19:53:13 -0800

I see problems with the current stuff in the new /debian directory:

- A number of files are not in the distro, such as chicken-static, csc-static, and csi-static. Also chicken.texi is in there but shouldn't be. This makes me think that static, maintain-by-hand lists of files are most unwise. I think CMake should generate the files that the Debian packaging tools need to consume, using / expanding the filename variables that already exist in CMakeLists.txt. That way, when someone breaks the manifest, we'll know.

- build-stamp is referring to ./configure. If that's Chicken's ./configure, that's wrong. Official Chicken distros are built with CMake.

Generally speaking, the model of "who's in control of the build" looks wrong. I think the Debian tools should be subservient to CMake / called by CMake. Looks like there will be more head scratching and implementation work for this.

I am now going to look at the Cygwin packaging stuff, because I actually have a Cygwin setup. I think a canonical manifest is needed, so that many different packaging systems can be serviced. I may implement proof-of-concept on Cygwin.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every