certi-devel

Re: [certi-dev] Cleanup in RTIA when federate crashes

From: Timi Tuohenmaa
Subject: Re: [certi-dev] Cleanup in RTIA when federate crashes
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 17:03:47 +0300

Hi,

I looked bit more as I had some issues with killFederate. If federate
owns attributes for
object and then crashes, the ownerships for those attributes are not
set to none (0). This
causes the situation where nobody can request ownership for those
attributes as RTIG
just tries to transfer request to federate that does not exist anymore
and then no-one
responds to release request.

I also remembered that had done unconditional release for owned
attributes when I quit
federate normally as otherwise that same situation happens. At least
HLA IEEE 1516.1-2010
does not allow such state (see 4.10. in standard and look also
4.10.3). In practice it should
delete objects it own (optionally) and unconditionally release owned attributes.

I think it should do the same on crash (not sure if it is better to
delete owned objects or not,
currently it deletes them).

I can offer patch for this if you want. It does not seem to be too hard to fix.

-Timi