bug-cvs
[Top][All Lists]
Advanced

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: get_date returning false


From: Ian Abbott
Subject: Re: get_date returning false
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 13:37:23 +0100
User-agent: Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0 (X11/20050118)

Hi Derek,

I've tried building getdate in cvs-1.12.11 and in ccvs from the repository. I got the same result in both cases.

If you want to try and reproduce it, you'll probably need to set the TZ environment variable. Mine is set to "Europe/London", but if your libc doesn't understand that format, you can try "GMT0BST,M3.5.0,M10.5.0" or "GMT0BST" instead.

Here is the result of some of my tests:

$ TZ=Europe/London ./getdate
Enter date, or blank line to exit.
        > 2005-4-1 GMT
Bad format - couldn't convert.
        > 2005-3-31 GMT
Bad format - couldn't convert.
        > 2005-3-30 GMT
Bad format - couldn't convert.
        > 2005-4-1 BST
2005-04-01 00:00:00.000000000
        > $
$ TZ=America/New_York ./getdate
Enter date, or blank line to exit.
        > 2005-4-1 GMT
2005-03-31 19:00:00.000000000
        > 2005-4-2 GMT
2005-04-01 19:00:00.000000000
        > $
$ TZ=Europe/Kiev ./getdate
Enter date, or blank line to exit.
        > 2005-4-1 GMT
2005-04-01 03:00:00.000000000
        > $
$

As you can see, this problem only seems to affect the British (and the Irish, as TZ=Europe/Dublin exhibited the same problem).

I'll try reporting the bug to address@hidden

Cheers,
Ian.

On 07/04/05 19:05, Derek Price wrote:
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

The correct place to report bugs in the getdate library would be
address@hidden, but could you please verify that you can reproduce
your problem with the version of CVS available from the CVS repository
on cvshome.org before you bother them?  Also, see if you can `cd lib;
make getdate; ./getdate' and then enter your offending date at the
prompt provided.  I cannot reproduce the problem you report using this
method, which might imply a problem with how we are using get_date
rather than with get_date itself, but then you should not have seen
problems from yyparse...  anyway, please let us know what you discover.

Regards,

Derek


Ian Abbott wrote:

| Hi,
|
| I've just started having a problem with "cvs date -u" (version
| 1.12.11):
|
|
| cvs diff: Diffing . Index: ChangeLog cvs diff: internal error: bad
| date 7 Apr 2005 11:50:26 -0000
| ===================================================================
|  RCS file: /work/abbotti/Repository/ampser/ChangeLog,v retrieving
| revision 1.66 *** glibc detected *** malloc(): memory corruption:
| 0x080eff60 *** cvs [diff aborted]: received abort signal
|
|
| I think the memory corruption is a side effect of the "bad date",
| so I'm concentrating on that for now.  I've traced the problem as
| far as the 'get_date' function, called from 'RCS_getrevtime'.
| 'get_date' returned 'false', so 'RCS_getrevtime' never got as far
| as filling in the 'date' string for its caller.
|
| Some debugging info from gdb follows ....
|
| Value of 'pc' prior to the call to 'yyparse':
|
| (gdb) p pc $39 = {input = 0xbfffebe0 "2005-4-7 GMT 11:36:56",
| day_ordinal = 1073837632, day_number = 1075498996, local_isdst =
| -1073747276, time_zone = -1073747304, meridian = 2, year = {value =
| 2005, digits = 4}, month = 4, day = 7, hour = 14, minutes = 57,
| seconds = {tv_sec = 7, tv_nsec = 273590000}, rel_year = 0,
| rel_month = 0, rel_day = 0, rel_hour = 0, rel_minutes = 0,
| rel_seconds = 0, rel_ns = 0, timespec_seen = false, dates_seen = 0,
| days_seen = 0, local_zones_seen = 0, rels_seen = 0, times_seen = 0,
| zones_seen = 0, local_time_zone_table = {{ name = 0x80e3fb8 "BST",
| type = 264, value = 1}, { name = 0x80e4a70 "GMT", type = 264, value
| = 0}, { name = 0x0, type = 0, value = 0}}}
|
| Value of 'pc' after the call to 'yyparse':
|
| (gdb) p pc $40 = {input = 0xbfffebf6
|
"address@hidden@\uffff\uffff\032@(\uffff\uffff\uffffO\uffff\016@
|  address@hidden", day_ordinal = 1073837632, day_number = 1075498996,
| local_isdst = 0, time_zone = -1073747304, meridian = 2, year =
| {value = 2005, digits = 4}, month = 4, day = 7, hour = 11, minutes
| = 36, seconds = {tv_sec = 56, tv_nsec = 0}, rel_year = 0, rel_month
| = 0, rel_day = 0, rel_hour = 0, rel_minutes = 0, rel_seconds = 0,
| rel_ns = 0, timespec_seen = false, dates_seen = 1, days_seen = 0,
| local_zones_seen = 1, rels_seen = 0, times_seen = 1, zones_seen =
| 0, local_time_zone_table = {{ name = 0x80e3fb8 "BST", type = 264,
| value = 1}, { name = 0x80e4a70 "GMT", type = 264, value = 0}, {
| name = 0x0, type = 0, value = 0}}}
|
| Values of 'Start', 'tm0' and 'tm' after the call to 'mktime':
|
| (gdb) p Start $46 = 1112873816 (gdb) p tm0 $47 = {tm_sec = 56,
| tm_min = 36, tm_hour = 11, tm_mday = 7, tm_mon = 3, tm_year = 105,
| tm_wday = 1075497952, tm_yday = 0, tm_isdst = 0, tm_gmtoff =
| 1075498996, tm_zone = 0x0} (gdb) p tm $48 = {tm_sec = 56, tm_min =
| 36, tm_hour = 12, tm_mday = 7, tm_mon = 3, tm_year = 105, tm_wday =
| 4, tm_yday = 96, tm_isdst = 1, tm_gmtoff = 3600, tm_zone =
| 0x80e3fb8 "BST"}
|
| The following call to 'mktime_ok' returns 0 because tm_hour has
| changed.  This causes 'get_time' to 'goto fail' and return 'false'
| because pc.zones_seen == 0.
|
| Hopefully, there's enough info there for some bright spark to spot
| the problem, but let me know if you need more info.
|
| Cheers, Ian.
|

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.0 (Cygwin)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFCVXZ3LD1OTBfyMaQRAjRGAJ9TS6wpLPGB0GL6q7ut3uv7cKoqdACg1iUR
ffyBVz1ylkvO8wyUk7rlx/Q=
=4OnW
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----



--
-=( Ian Abbott @ MEV Ltd.    E-mail: <address@hidden>        )=-
-=( Tel: +44 (0)161 477 1898   FAX: +44 (0)161 718 3587         )=-




reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]